Genomics England successfully led the world-leading 100,000 Genomes Project, which compared and analysed individuals’ genetic codes to help diagnose, treat and prevent illness.
We're now accelerating our impact, working with the NHS to further develop and embed genomic healthcare and research in Britain. Our next chapter involves working with patients, doctors, scientists, government and industry to improve genomic testing, and help researchers access the health data and technology they need to make new medical discoveries and create more effective, targeted medicines for everybody.
Are you a skilled Product Manager looking to use your knowledge to create products that directly enable cutting edge research and improve the health of patients in the NHS and worldwide?
As a Product Manager here, you'll be the facilitator of the products we build. This is an opportunity for you to combine your communication, leadership, problem solving and defining skills to take responsibility for our groundbreaking scientific products that will directly impact the advances of personalised genomic medicines in the UK.
The Trusted Research Environment enables researchers from our commercial and academic partners to leverage our world-leading set of 140,000 and growing Whole Genomes to accelerate their research.
As Product Manager for one of the squads creating the Trusted Research Environment, your customers are academic and commercial partners and your users are their research teams. Your squad is responsible for ensuring the environment meets their needs and has all the right tools to enable and accelerate their research.
This is a product for those that love enabling users to make the most out of large, complex data. Each genome is composed of a huge amount of data that needs to be at the right granularity and format to ensure smooth comprehensive analysis. Our genomic data is coupled with clinical and other data to empower research on how to diagnose, prognose and treat cancer and rare diseases. Your researcher users will need to be able to sift through dozens of Petabytes of our and other data, using your scientific and technical tools to make ground breaking discoveries to improve genomic medicine.
Everyday responsibilities include:
- Understand the key market, competitive, technical, scientific, clinical implications to lead the product effectively. Rely on technical knowledge and skills to prioritise and manage your squad's area of the product
- Ensure your users are happy, supported, and getting value from your area of the product. Ensure your product maintains compliance.
- Define product vision and strategy. Set squad OKRs aligned to business priorities. Translate the vision, strategy and OKRs into a roadmap for your area of the product and communicate it effectively.
- Manage successful outcomes through OKRs for users and the business by defining and prioritising the focus of the squad, balancing maintenance and new development using continuous discovery and delivery.
- Solve problems and make decisions quickly and effectively to make rapid progress, including many perspectives in problem solving and incorporating data into all decision making.
- Work in alignment with squad members, internal and external stakeholders, users, and 3rd parties. Communicate priorities, commitments, and manage stakeholders.
Skills and experience for success
- Experience taking a complex scientific software product from discovery to running live
- Experience of leading a team, including ability to mentor, coach and create a collaborative environment
- Experience building and navigating complex data products
- Experience of agile development/delivery of digital services
- Successful at (and enjoy) collaborating with people from a variety of backgrounds
- Able to influence a range of stakeholders at a variety of seniorities but also willing to listen and take on board other opinions and ideas
- Highly proactive and a practical problem solver who likes to figure stuff out rather than explaining why it can't be done.
Degree or experience in business or related fields
Originally conceived as a project, Genomics England has transformed to meet the opportunities created by our scientific breakthroughs in understanding the Human Genome. Being part of this journey is a reward in itself, however we're pleased to offer our colleagues a great benefits package including:
- competitive salary
- 30 days holiday
- generous pension scheme
- individual learning budgets for every colleague
- a raft of other benefits
Talk to our Talent Team and find out how a career with Genomics England will benefit you.
As part of our recruitment process, all successful candidates are subject to a Standard Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. We therefore require applicants to disclose any previous offences at point of application, as some unspent convictions may mean we are unable to proceed with your application due to the nature of our work in healthcare.
Genomics England operates a blended working model as we know our people appreciate the flexibility. We expect most people to come into the office 2 times each month as a minimum. However, this will vary according to role and will be agreed with your team leader. For some people this is 1 day a quarter, for others it is several days a week. There is no expectation that staff will return to the office full time unless they want to. The exception would be some of our roles that would require you to be on site full time e.g., lab teams, reception team.
Our teams and squads have, and will continue to, reflect on what works best for them to work together successfully and have the freedom to design working patterns to suit, beyond the minimum. Our office locations at the moment are Cambridge and Farringdon (London) and in Winter 2022 we are relocating our London office location to Canary Wharf. We will also be expanding our regional offices.
Looking ahead to our move to Canary Wharf, we will be designing our new space with blended working in mind, and with the flexibility to adapt to changing work patterns. During the pandemic we will be following government advice on working from home guidance.