Sample Handling Guidance
This Sample Handling Guidance covers rare disease and cancer sample requirements including blood, tumour and biopsy guidance for the 100,000 Genomes Project.
All links open as PDFs unless otherwise stated.
Information in these documents will be included in the next version of the Sample Handling Guidance. In the meantime NHS GMCs can use this standalone guidance immediately.
- Guidance on the Extraction of DNA from Fresh Frozen Tumour Tissue for the 100,000 Genomes Project (July 2017)
- Biopsy Pathway Setup Resource (August 2017)
- Consultation Document on Sampling Small Tumours (July 2017)
- Guidance on sending more than one tumour sample from the same patient (multiple cancer cohorts sample handling) – please find the application form for multiple sampling below
- Guidance for Haematological Cancers (August 2017)
This form should only be submitted if the form above has been sent and approval given
Using biobank consent
In the cancer programme, local biobank consent can be used for generic tissue, prior to participants being invited to join the 100,000 Genomes Project. Download the guidance.
View, download or print the current Sample Handling Guidance v3.1 Jan 2017.
NOTE: This web version (v3.1) contains some minor formatting and text changes.Fullscreen Mode
Download: Sample Handling Guidance v3.1
For training in DNA extraction and sample processing, please visit the Genomics Education Programme website.